Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinkley

1910-2008


We as a family just wanted to write our own small tribute to our prophet. He passed away Sunday night after serving diligently for most of his life. He has influenced both Adam and me in so many ways.

His words have always been words to uplift and inspire. I remember when he and his wife surprised our stake by attending our stake conference unannounced. I remember that he said that we were all doing a wonderful job and the he was so grateful for the faithful members of this church. I was impressed at the time by his constant optimism as well as his hard work ethic. He said that when he had a weekend off, he and his wife would travel to local stake conferences to visit the saints. I know that if I were in his situation, I would have much rather had a relaxing break on a Sunday afternoon as opposed to traveling some more. He was a constant and diligent man.

On my mission, our mission president showed us a video of President Hinckley's life during a zone conference. It has since become a movie I really enjoy watching because it is so inspiring. It is called, "Gordon B. Hinckley, Man of Integrity, 15th President of the Church."

My favorite story from that video is related by Elder M. Russell Ballard concerning President Hinckley's trip to England for the dedication of the Preston Temple, in which area President Hinckley had served as a missionary. Elder Ballard relates,

"When he learned that a brother with whom he had tracted was in the audience, he immediately picked his way through the crowd of more than 10,000, searching faces as he walked. When he spotted Robert Pickles, now confined to a wheelchair, tears began to flow. And as he bent down to embrace him, and then stood holding his hand as they talked, it was obvious that years of separation hadn’t diminished the feelings for his old friend." He then says that this love and compassion were typical of President Hinckley.

I must admit that I am happy for him, that he is now with his sweet wife. Maybe now, he can have bit of rest and relaxation.

No comments: