Monday, November 3, 2008

Why I am a Republican

*Warning: this may be a boring post to some. Read at your own risk*

Although I would appear more intelligent and it would seem like I was thinking outside the box by being a liberal Mormon, I openly admit that I am not. I am following the crowd here in Utah for two main reasons...

Reason #1-






















Issues like abortion, marriage, sex education, preservation of the family are as much a homeland security risk in my opinion as is the war on terror and the economic crisis. The sanctity of life and moral integrity is crucial to our survival as a country.

Some may argue that this is my way of forcing my religion onto others, which we claim as a church not to do in the 11th article of faith. However, the sanctity of life and morality are social and ethical issue that permeate all religions and walks of life. By the definitions of what government is, we should have laws protecting those things. The prophets have also warned, "that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." Again, I saw it is an issue of national security.

Reason #2-

Smaller government is better. Less is more. America was founded by those trying to escape the limits that an over-pervasive government had put on them. Man is intelligent, creative, and able to provide for himself if given the opportunity and the education. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a life time." Government should not provide for necessities that we have the ability to achieve ourselves through honest hard work. (Of course this is in general, there exceptions to the rule and it is good to have programs to help those who really need it.)

The current economic crisis is a result of the government under more liberal presidents, forcing financial institutions to give mortgages to those who couldn't qualify, those who couldn't afford it. A generous gesture, we need to help the needy, but the cost of the government stepping in has been that everyone, including those who couldn't qualify before, have been hurt greatly.

I am a Republican, and proud of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Lara.

Anonymous said...

This was not a boring post at all Lara and I'm glad I read it. You stated all of that information very well. I too am a Republican and proud of it!

Anonymous said...

Amen Sista!

Anonymous said...

You have stated the core of the issues in a very understandable way and I couldn't agree with you more. It is just unfortunate that so many people in this country are easily swayed into believing that others can solve their problems for them. The more we look for others to provide for us the more we really give up.

Anonymous said...

I AGREE! I was just having a conversation about this exact thing with Paul a few days ago... and Honestly after tonight's election, God bless America. Please.