Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Humility and Parenting

Who would have thought the two were so connected. Of course, it's humbling to have the opportunity to be a parent, but little did I know how much I would have to learn about humbling myself below a two-year-old.


Pictures like these help put things in perspective. Talk about heart melting material!





For example, I'm learning on a daily basis is how much my own demeanor effects the demeanor of my family. You always hear how much a mom effects her household, but it is still amazing how true it is. If I let my frustrations show, Baylub feels the tension and mirrors what I feel. So that leads into a lovely downward spiral of negativity. Lu Lu, herself, tends to be a little more fussy when I am. Unless I humble myself, say a prayer for help, and focus on the positive, keep the happy vibe flowing.




Another example, it takes a lot of humility to not discipline just for discipline's sake, especially when I'm really frustrated. So he hit. Is it always the best course to punish after every punishable offense? Quite a conundrum, if you ask me. The purist would say yes, but in reality, two-year-olds are not science. They don't react the same to identical situations, every time. Sometimes, a time-out teaches a good lesson. Sometimes what they really need is a hug and a talk.



I'm finding that more often than not, a snuggle and talk is what is really needed, even if I really want to let him have it with a whopper of a time out. Like I said, it takes a lot more humility than I anticipated.



But, hands down, they are WORTH the effort!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya 110%! I was just thinking the other day that Being a mom is the hardest and best thing I've ever done. And I am sure that you are doing a great job, Lara!

Anonymous said...

Oh I it is hard when you're so frustrated - but I'm going to remember what you said. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are a great mom!! How lucky your children are.

Mom

Anonymous said...

What an amazing older sister i have to look up to and call when i have my own little rascals!!!

amy wamy

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful real post, Lara. Keep up the introspection. You are a great Mommy!

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures!!! You have some darling friends my dear!

Anonymous said...

thanks, lara! i'm glad i checked your blog today because today was one of those days where i needed to be a little more humble and take time to snuggle and talk instead of be the time out queen. you are a wonderful moma! :) i'll remember this for tomorrow:D