Monday, September 8, 2008

Projects...

My goodness, I feel like I have had just one project after another. I've determined to put all projects aside for the rest of the week so that I can focus on my kids again. I have committed the very cardinal sin of putting my child in front of a movie while I get things done.

We have three fruit trees in our yard and my sister in law, Jessie, and I have been working diligently to not let all of that free food totally go to waste.

First, last month, we attacked the apricots. We made jars and jars of apricot pineapple jam and apricot syrup. Both delicious. We also tried an apricot pie filling which is surprisingly good.

Next, I tried to do the plums but was sick on and off for three weeks straight. I got one batch of jam (which is a beautiful color and so yummy) and have done quite a few plum fruit leather batches which has this great fruit punch like flavor to it.

Then we really went after the apples. We have a TON and they last a lot longer than the apricots after picking. We did quite a few batches of apple pie filling, lots apple sauce, apple butter, apple fruit leather, and dried apples. It was A LOT of work.





Today, we went over to my mom's house and canned peaches, the best of all fruits. We do the lemon alberta peaches which my mom says are best for canning. They are so yummy, they are almost like candy. It was fun to hang out with my mom as well.



So now, I hope to be back to some semblance of normalcy, although with our little Caleb, I don't think normal is possible. (: Once one crazy phase is over, another crazy one begins. Children are so wonderful to teach us life lessons huh? I am glad to be able to spend more time with both Caleb and Lucy though. Lucy is so excited to show off rolling over. Her personality shines through more and more very day. It's miraculous. Caleb has started counting and it is really exciting to me. It is amazing how they grow and learn.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work with all that fruit. I love good canned fruit, especially in the winter. That makes all the hard work worth it!

Anonymous said...

Fun! I'm so jealous. I'm sure you are well on your way to a year's supply :)

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW!!! That's awesome. Lara, you're awesome!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Fruit that you have canned yourself is so much better than from the store. Good job and "Enjoy the fruits of you labor".

Anonymous said...

OOoh!! Fruit Leather, it has been too long since I've had some of that. I'd give anything to go pick fruit in the nice Utah weather right now. I looks like you got plenty of that in to last you until next year.

Anonymous said...

I'm very behind in the blogging world (we hadn't had internet for the past month) but I'm glad you found my blog so long ago, I just barley got to check yours! your kids are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Excellent Lara! All that food sounds sooo yummy! And my goodness that is a lot of work, way to go!! You are a canning queen :)

Anonymous said...

I have to pick three apple trees this morning. Any suggestions/recipes/tricks of the trade for what I can do with them all?