Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Baby Jo

Check this out...



In this picture: Baylub, 2 yrs., Lulu, 1 yr., and Baby Jo, 0 yrs. (5 days to be exact)

Three kids two and under. What a cute bunch, huh?

Because I had a really positive though unexpected experience delivering Lulu without anesthesia, I thought I would try for it again. Only this time I would be more prepared. So I went in with the attitude that if things went quickly as they did with Lulu, I would forgo the epidural but if it was going to take 10 hours of hard labor, I would opt for the pain killers.

Luckily, things went much the same way they did last time. We went in to be induced at 6:30 am, started the pitocin at about 8, things were slow and mild until about 2 pm when I was dilated to a 4, the pain got intense but she was born at 3:05 so it was most definitely manageable. The only really difficult part I felt was that Jo was face up and had the chord wrapped around her neck twice (SCARY) which made pushing a lot harder than my previous experiences.




Here are some things that I learned this time around that might be helpful to others out there.

- If the mother has a cold, don't be worried. The baby will most likely not get it and in fact will be stronger because she immediately gets the antibodies to fight the cold from the mom if she nurses. (I was stressing about this cold for days!)

- Mental tricks and physical preparation (like practicing relaxing your body) make a huge difference during labor. I practiced very little and inconsistently and doubted that it would help very much but it did. The pain this time compared to last time was significantly less.

- Those exercise balls, or labor balls are INCREDIBLE during labor. When I sat down, it released so much tension in my legs and allowed me to rotate my back and hips during a contraction helping to release a lot of the tension.

- Adam rubbed my legs and my back pretty constantly for the last hour. That also helped out immensely. It seemed to me that half of the pain I felt was from my body tensing up fighting the pain from the contraction. Things like rubbing and focusing to release the tension lessened the pain significantly.

- Not finding out what you are having really is so much fun. I kind of forgot to find out the gender when she was born because I was so distressed by her being face up and the chord around her neck. When Adam told me it was a girl (and we had both been SO convinced that it was a boy) I thought for sure he was just joking around with me until he said it again. It was quite exciting.

- Because of this year's swine flu problems, most hospitals have strict visitation rules. If you have the option, I would try and go to a smaller hospital or one where the delivery rooms are on the ground floor. I had been so sad about not being able to see Baylub and Lulu after the baby was born and for them not being able to see the baby. The nurse mentioned that people were having children come to the windows of the room to see their new sibling.





It was so cute! They both were so excited about the baby and waved hello to me. I couldn't see them for a few days so it was nice see both of them even if it was through a window.

We are both still doing well. Our little family is desperately trying to adjust to our new positions; Lulu is no longer the baby and Baylub now has to be even more independent. Adam and I are now outnumbered and must learn how to divide our attention between three now. It will take a little time but we will find our rhythm.




Baby Jo's first bath.



12 comments:

Sara said...

Lara!!! You are amazing! I can't believe you did that! I'm glad it went pretty quickly for you.

She is absolutely gorgeous!
I love the pictures of your kids in the window.

Robert and Lisa said...

I'm glad you had such a great experience! She is adorable. Congratulations and good luck with 3!

Jon and Shiloh said...

Wow! I'm still trying to soak in that you have 3 kids two years old and under. You the Mama!! I'm so glad everything went so well for you and Baby Jo :)

Keri said...

Congrats - I'm intrigued to go natural but freaked out!

Zanny said...

Congrats, Lara. She is beautiful!!

Laura said...

Good luck with another little one around. It's going to be pretty crazy, but having them so close---they'll be great great friends! Your induction story gives me hope. I'm terrified of being inducted and most likely I'll have to do next time one of our babies has Chase's blood! I agree with all your tips...you need just one more...there's a spot in your lower back where your spine and hip bones meet (kind of a little triangle area) and when you have someone push on that during a contraction---oh so nice! It really eases the pain.

Congrats again :-)

Andrea said...

OOOOOO!!! Honey she is so lovely! I'm so happy for ALL of you! I'm so glad that everything worked out so well! You ma dear, rock!!! I can't wait to see her... (someday) we need to get together the next time Bethany is in town!!!

Johnstun Fam said...

You are a Tough woman! Way to go MOM! She is so precious! I am glad to hear all went well. Cant wait to see her. Are you guys going to be up this way for Thanksgiving? LET us know, we would love to see you and give you her gift!

Sharee Gariety said...

Oh my goodness, Lara! Congratulations! I'm glad the delivery went well and you are both healthy. I'll have to try the birthing ball next time and all that relaxation stuff. I had no drugs with Hayden and I still haven't forgotten the pain . . .

Good luck with three. It's always an adjustment but you guys will be brilliant!

love to you and your darling family!
Sharee

Sarah said...

Congratulations, she's adorable...you seriously have the cutest kids. I want to see you, I can come over and help one day, I'm not sick!

Sarah xx

Jen said...

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

Jessie said...

I'm glad that you got a picture of all three kids while Caleb was still 2, pretty amazing! You guys are awesome and watching you is helping me be brave for baby #3.