Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving #1

Many people use this time of year to list what they are thankful for on their blogs and I am following suit. So, during this beautiful Thanksgiving week, I would like to post what I am grateful for.

I am grateful for my religion




and most specifically , for my Savior, Jesus Christ.




As life goes on, things just seem to get more complicated and the problems more difficult. I get caught up worrying about the future: jobs, raising kids, finances, etc. I have at times been so overwhelmed I have felt complete despair and wondered how God can allow some things to happen. I've pondered lately the role of faith in my life and I now realize that without a feeling of determined faith in my Savior as well as continued obedience to his teachings I would shrivel up spiritually and emotionally. I would easily become hopeless and bitter. I recently heard a quote to the effect of God gives us trials to make us better, not bitter. I know for myself that without my testimony and the blessings that the gospel brings, I could not become a better person. I would lack the eternal perspective the temple brings into my life, I would lack the strong family heritage I have around me that inspires me and shows me the correct choices I need to make. I would lack the Spirit that comforts me and gives me that hope when I most need it. I just don't know how people make it in this life without the Savior. I am so grateful for Him and for His atonement that makes all important things possible.

I've mentioned them before but, here are my two favorite songs about Jesus Christ that lift my spirits every time I listen to them. (don't mind that the second one has some Spanish translations)





Carol Of Joy
Green leaves all fallen, withered and dry; Brief sunset fading, dim winter sky. Lengthening shadows,Dark closing in…
Then, through the stillness, carols begin!

Oh fallen world, to you is the song– Death holds you fast and night tarries long.
Jesus is born, your curse to destroy! Sweet to your ears, a carol of Joy!

Pale moon ascending, solemn and slow; Cold barren hillside, shrouded in snow; Deep, empty valley veiled by the night; Hear angel music–hopeful and bright!

Oh fearful world, to you is the song– Peace with your God, and pardon for wrong! Tidings for sinners, burdened and bound–
A carol of joy! A Saviour is found!

Earth wrapped in sorrow, lift up your eyes! Thrill to the chorus filling the skies! Look up sad hearted–witness God’s love! Join in the carol swelling above!
Oh friendless world, to you is the song! All Heaven’s joy to you may belong! You who are lonely, laden, forlorn– Oh fallen world!Oh friendless world!
To you, A Saviour is born!

Text by Eileen Berry.


2 comments:

Jen said...

I have never heard the Carol Of Joy. It is a beautiful song.

Noble Fam said...

Lara,
That was truly beautiful. Both songs were such a wonderful reminder of the love our Father in Heaven has for us by offering us a Savior who loves us and lived and died for us. Thank you so much for posting the songs.