Wednesday, May 9, 2012

So Brave

Caleb had to have one more shot for kindergarten. I don't know about you, but I feel more anxious for my kids than they are for themselves when they go in for shots. I always give myself a pep talk so that I can act like it's no big deal and be brave for the kids. I always talk them through it, "It's just a quick poke, it will hurt for a second and then it's all done." It took me until having a baby to get over my needle jitters. Caleb's shot was a last minute thing so I did my pep talk really quick. 


Caleb said he would be really brave. I promised a treat after. We always get ice cream after vaccines just so that shots can be associated with something positive. Caleb said that he wouldn't even cry. I didn't believe he would really do it, so I said that if he didn't cry he could pick out a toy.


He was pumped up, ready to go. I held him in my lap and told him to look the other way. He was smiling thinking about his toy. And would you believe it, not even a flinch. So brave, braver than his mother was in college. All the kids came bouncing out of the office and one of the other office assistants asked in a surprised tone "Who was getting a shot?" I was so proud of him. He picked out a Captain America shield for his prize. He is one strong boy. 


Jo is strong too. 

(Please note the baby in the background of all these pictures constantly chewing on something. Love love love!)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

i still hate shots and i know EXACTLY what you mean by being more anxious than them. well, i never told my L that she was getting shots until they pulled out the needle. hate shots...

Suzanne said...

I need to move closer so that you can take my kids to get all of their shots! (Maybe I also need you to talk me through my shots... lol) Good work Mommy and Caleb! I LOVE his flexing face, too cute!