Friday, August 3, 2012

Aaaaaaaaaugh!

 I thought I would be so ready for this day, but I am just NOT! Kindergarten has snuck up on me and I am not ready. Caleb sure is though. He is in afternoon kindergarten which made the first day quite tortuous. He spent all morning asking what time it was and why he had to wait until after lunch.




We walked him down to the elementary school and he was mad that we had to go with him, but then he was sweet and gave me a hug and a kiss. Watching him walk away with his class was a tearful event that confused the girls. Lucy kept asking why I was crying.

He's in an interesting class: first, it is year round school which I'm anticipating will be full of transitioning from off to on to off track, second, his teacher is a young guy named Mr. Joshua. It's his first year of teaching and he seems cool and enthusiastic. I'm interested to see how they will get along.


At Caleb's evaluation testing, his teacher concluded that he already knows everything that they will be covering this year in kindergarten. So, now, Adam and I are trying to figure out what is the best thing to do: let him sit for a year and develop social skills and maturity or figure out another game plan to help him keep growing academically. He sure LOVES to learn, but he is still quite an emotional little guy. We would love to hear any suggestions.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Especially since it's just 1/2 day, I would let him stay where he is and supplement with books and some educational web sites. (we've come across some great ones that help with math, etc. ) What grade do they start gifted programs there? I felt like it was really important for Daniel to be with other kids his age and become "socialized" lol. Just my 2 cents. :)

Lesley Ann said...

I feel the same as Suzanne. Braeden was the same way in Kindergarten. We just read with him at home and did math games. Now he is going into second grade, he is still a very high reader, but right on for math. I think socially it will benefit to keep him with kids his age. That's just me:)

Jessie said...

Way to go Caleb!

Ashleigh said...

I agree with the first two ladies! I have the same fear as I have my preschoolers already doing double digit subtraction and carry-over addition. I think socialization will be HUGE for Caleb though - and I think it will be perfect that he has a male teacher. You will be his best teacher, of course...morally, spiritually, and academically. The structure of an organized classroom, however, will really assist his development in other areas.

Angela said...

Such an exciting time! I can't believe school has started already for you, we still have a couple weeks! Hope all is well!

Andrea said...

you too huh? we start soon and i will be having very hard times. yikes!!! hate that growing up thing!

Sara said...

What a cute little guy!
You are such a good and in-tune mom Lara.