Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Most Underappreciated Fruit

The last two canning seasons, I have gained a new favorite to add to my repitiore of fruit. It is the plum.



I know very few people who love plums or say that it is their favorite fruit. They are pretty good fresh. But my oh my, everything I have made with the plums (basically fruit leather and jam) has been simply incredible. I think plum jam is the prettiest color. LOVE IT! And it has the most wonderful almost tangy flavor.



I haven't made any fruit leather yet, but last year's leather tasted just amazing, almost like a fruit punch instead of plain old plum. And, again, after being blended together, the dark skin makes the leather the most beautiful red/purple/plum color. I am definitely a fan.

So if you see black plums on sale anywhere, buy a few pounds a try a batch of cooked jam. I highly recommend it.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

so jealous! That tree grows the BEST plums! (and the jam is to die for!) Glad to see they're not going to waste!

Jon and Shiloh said...

I totally agree, the black plum is the tastiest! My moms plum fruit leather was my favorite growing up!! We had those two plum trees on the side of our house that went crazy every year with tons of fruit. Yum Yum!

Jess said...

Mmmmm I need the recipe you use!

Laura said...

Mmm that sounds good! Plums are one of Chase's favorite fruits. I do like that subtle tang! And yes, we should try to get together next summer when we come out to Utah :-)

Sharee Gariety said...

Hey, good job Lara! Those jars do look beautiful and delicious!

Jessica said...

That sounds so good! I made jam for the first time this year and I was shocked how easy it is! I will have to try it!