Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three car seats in one sedan....

So, one of the many problems we have faced with the pending arrival of a new bambino is the question of what to do car-wise. The most fun choice is obviously to buy a bigger car. We have researched it down to a Mazda 5. We are fans, especially of the gas mileage. It only seats six but that would have been plenty for us.

However, after a few months, it became painfully apparent that buying a new car was just NOT an option. We tried multiple times to squish our three car seats (one infant and two upright) to fit in the back of our Mitsubishi Galant. Unfortunately, I have the habit of buying big, fat car seats because the look so much safer and more comfortable than skimpy ones. It truly is impossible to fit all three of our car seats in the back seat.

I think in the back of my mind I kept thinking and hoping that somehow, someway we could buy a new car, but in the end I reconciled myself to finding a car seat that would fit. I've seen three car seats in the back of small cars before so I know people do it somehow.


From what I've learned, the Radian or Sunshine Kids Radian Car seat is one of, if not, the skinniest car seat out there.





And it is specifically most skinny at the base, where it really needs to be. It is pricey because it boasts to be extremely safe with a steel frame and other extra safe features. But, by far it is cheaper than buying a new car. It is a convertible car seat so it can be rear or forward facing. We added some little pillow attachments to the straps to help Lulu sleep without her head flopping over into uncomfortable looking positions. So now, with a Cosco upright car seat, a Graco Safe Seat infant car seat, and the Radian car seat, we can fit all three (barely) into the back of our car.

Lets just hope that our current kids will not torture the baby since they will be able to reach him so easily. They will grow up close in age and car proximity.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

yay! I'm glad you figured it out! Now I'm just imagining all your fun outings with Lucy poking the baby in the eye! lol

Keri said...

Oh wow, good for you! We had a little Honda Civic and there is NO way you could fit 3 car seats in there. We just got a Honda Pilot and it seats 8 - more than enough for us since I only want one more. I'm glad you found seats that work though - I don't know if I could've done that.

Jen said...

We survived over 2 years with 3 kids in the back of our car. You can do it too. I'm glad you found a carseat.

Jess said...

Thanks for sharing... This may be us when baby 3 comes since Paul will be in the middle of Business school!

Jon and Shiloh said...

Man what a hard situation, but yay you solved the problem. Everything that is good and right works out somehow! You are a trooper with 3 so close. You can do it!!!

Andrea said...

I'm a jerk! I didn't even know that you were pregnant!!!! News!!! email me!

Laura said...

Oh, Yes! Those cozy packed three car seat days! I've always bought the skimpiest and cheapest car seats. The Cosco brand has worked great for us and you can usually get them on sale at Target, Shopko, etc. for about $30-35.

I'm sure there will be crazy noisy car days, but mostly I'll think you'll look behind you at those three cute happy little faces and your heart will swell with gratitude and joy that they are ALL yours!

Hannah Jones said...

wait.... you said "touch 'him'". Did you find out?!!!!
Great job getting 3 carseats in the back!!! It might be squishy, but you won't be stressed about a car payment!